Saturday, June 27, 2009

Comment on Realtor Response Time

As an Atlanta area Real Estate agent, I find I must comment on the lack of response from my peers.

In many cases, when I call for information on a listing I find I have to leave messages in any number of places and without fail, my messages are either never returned or they are hours later.

Two cases in point:

1. A few weeks ago I had a friend and fellow investor here from CA and she wanted to see some properties. We ended our day at a last minute stop to see a property in Lawrenceville, GA. There was only a contractors lockbox so I called the number on the sign. It was for an office and of course the nice lady who answered said she didn't have any info on the listing (BIG mistake number 1) and that I would have to speak directly to the listing agent. I was given this person's cell number, called and had to leave a message. My client and I waited about 15 minutes; no return call. I brought her back to her hotel, still no call. When I returned to my office I looked up the listing and then sent the agent an email. This has been a few weeks ago now and I am still waiting on a response from this agent!

2. Just yesterday I was with some clients who are moving from VA to the metro Atlanta area. These are VERY motivated buyers. There was a listing in Lithonia they desperately wanted to see so I printed out the listing and off we went. There was only a contractors lockbox but this time the lockbox code was in the private remarks on the Agent's listing. Perhaps you can guess what happens next. We get to the property and the lockbox code does not open the lockbox! I call the office and was told that was the code! I said no it isn't. And I was very curtly told that perhaps I input it wrong. Rather than coming back at her I asked for the listing agent's cell number. Of course there was no answer there and I had to leave a message. This all transpired at about 10:30 am. The listing agent fianlly called me back a little after 2:00 pm. UGH!

This is a promise from me. I ALWAYS return calls within an hour at the VERY latest. Usually it's within minutes. Why? Because un-returned calls means a possibility of lost revenue and business. In this market, no agent can afford to turn away business. Agents, answer your phone and return email inquiries. Many times if I am at the office in front of my laptop, I'll email a question to an agent. I understand that sometimes the phone ringing every 10 minutes can be annoying and intrusive. When I don't need an answer immediately, I'll email. When I am out of the office, I receive email on my phone. I can at least look quickly to see it's importance. Most times I respond quickly with, I received your email, however I am currently out of the office, but I will address your questions when I return. Something simple so the sender has been shown respect with an answer. Or, if I am able I will call the person but tell them I am away from the office. Allow me to get back there and I will be better equipped to answer your questions then. At least I have answered!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Metro Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Realtor and Real Estate Investor - Revitalizing metro Atlanta, One Property at a Time. www.dovcar.com

Followers